The best of Kimco’s blog in 2014
As we dive into the New Year, we wanted to take a look back through our blog and reflect on some of the most exciting retail highlights from the past year. Take a look and see what you may have missed.
Big in 2014
Keeping up to speed with the quickly evolving world of retail can be a challenge for shops of all sizes who are busy working to meet the needs of consumers in their stores every day. To help, we interviewed multiple guest experts on the blog this year that shared their professional tips and tricks on how retailers can best operate their businesses and boost their buzz among target audiences. These interviews included SuccessfulStartUp101.com’s Tabitha Naylor; Socialnomics’ Erik Qualman; ShopKeep’s Norm Merritt; WomenOnBusiness.com’s Susan Gunelius; Shakr’s Erik Cornelius; and the Retail Industry Leaders Association’s Adam Siegel and Erin Hiatt.
We also took a look at some of the popular tools that made waves in 2014 in helping retailers advertise and manage their businesses. For example, we explored Google My Business, which rolled out during the summer to help small businesses interact with customers and make sure their locations are a cinch to find through Google. Kimco’s Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Tom Taddeo, also broke down the hottest apps for small businesses to help sort through the clutter and provide just the need to know info about today’s best mobile applications.
Joining in on the momentum were seven new bloggers who became part the Kimco blogging team, upping the total to 54 experts and bringing new insights and perspectives to the blog.
Among the most exciting 2014 highlights, we published our first ever corporate responsibility report and announced plans for the launch of Illumi-Nation, which will overhaul our lighting at more than 100 properties.
Other highlights? To name a few, redevelopment projects proved hugely successful throughout the year, including grocery retailer Fresh Thyme opening a store in Kimco’s Fairview Centre and Kimco’s Wilde Lake Village Center becoming the first LEED-certified property in Kimco’s portfolio. Kimco also hosted its second year of the popular REIToon Cartoon Caption Contest, which topped our number of submissions from last year and resulted in our funniest calendar yet.
Popular reads in 2014
Here are the top posts that kept the industry reading throughout the last year.
- Top trends in retail real estate for 2014. Conor Flynn provided a snapshot of the year’s top trends in retail real estate, covering everything from omni-channel retailing and the rise of junior anchors to transaction activity and an increase in retail franchise development.
- Kimco employees ‘step up’ to the Global Corporate Challenge. This year, Kimco employees took part in the 100-day Global Corporate Challenge to improve their health and performance.
- Marketing a shopping center: Top tips from a retail marketing pro. David Watkins, founder of marketing firm Team Watkins, offered his top tips for retail center owners and tenants to attract shoppers through events and promotions.
- From clicks to bricks: Why online retailers are going brick-and-mortar, and how Kimco is helping. Conor Flynn also discussed the latest wave of online-only retailers that have opened a brick-and-mortar presence, including Warby Parker, Bonobos, and Birchbox.
- Getting to the root of retail property beautification. Kimco’s own Chris Freeman shared how property beautification initiatives have not only improved the curb appeal of Kimco’s Southeastern portfolio, but also gained recognition from its surrounding municipalities.
As part of our StoreFront series, we feature tenants’ stories in their own words. We want to thank all of our tenants who have shared their stories with us this year, including:
- All Star Wine & Spirits in Kimco’s Latham Farms shopping center in Latham, New York.
- California Institute of Jewelry Training in Kimco’s Northridge Plaza in Fair Oaks, California.
- Conroy’s Flowers in Kimco’s Corona Hills Plaza in Corona, California. The post also features commentary from Hallmark on its Valentine’s Day prep.
- Dirtyburger in Kimco’s Manetto Hill Plaza in Plainview, New York.
- LHT Revolution Weight Loss in Kimco’s Country Gables Shopping Center in Granite Bay, California.
- Mountain Mike’s Pizza, also in Kimco’s Country Gables Shopping Center in Granite Bay, California.
- PetSmart Charities in Kimco’s Acadiana Square in Lafayette, Louisiana, and Smithtown Plaza in Nesconset, New York. PetSmart is the seventh largest Kimco tenant, with 73 stores located throughout Kimco’s portfolio.
- The Pomegranate Café in Kimco’s Plaza @ Mountainside in Phoenix, Arizona.
- See’s Candies in Kimco’s Palm Plaza Shopping Center in Temecula, California and Magnolia Square Shopping Center in San Ramon, California.
- Suncoast Blood Bank in Kimco’s Bayshore Gardens Shopping Center in Bradenton, Florida.
- Wonder Works Toys in Kimco’s St. Andrew’s Shopping Center in Charleston, South Carolina.
We at Kimco are committed to delivering even more top-notch content in 2015, with videos, interviews, photos, and more on every facet of retail. We will continue to bring you the industry’s most important news and share our tenants’ stories and successes. Feel free to tell us how we’re doing and share ideas for what you want to read about on our blog.