Why Moolala’s frozen yogurt business is rock solid
The frozen yogurt industry is anything but cold. Self-serve “fro-yo” franchises and independent shops have mushroomed across the U.S. in recent years as business owners strive to capitalize on consumers’ increasing focus on healthy eating and saving money. Frozen yogurt revenue grew at a 5.9 percent pace during the past five years, according to estimates from a November 2011 IBISWorld report.
But with this growing wave of frozen yogurt shops, is the market approaching its freezing point? The answer is no, according to Bob Rosenberg, the founding co-owner of Moolala. He opened Moolala in 2010 in Kimco’s Merrick Commons shopping center in Merrick, N.Y., making it Long Island’s first self-serve frozen yogurt bar.
We talked to him recently for a podcast on our blog. Bob said the frozen yogurt market remains strong and is growing. However, he also said once the market reaches its saturation point, as with many markets, we will see consolidation. When we asked Bob about his thoughts on the keys to survival — today and in the future — we got some great insights that any frozen yogurt shop owner should listen to.
Hit play to tune in to our podcast with Bob, and hear him talk about what sets Moolala apart in an increasingly crowded frozen yogurt market, and what he thinks other frozen yogurt shop owners should be paying attention to in the coming year to help their businesses thrive. We’ve also included an index of our conversation below, so you can easily jump ahead to any part that interests you the most.
- 1:00 The Moolala business concept
- 2:31 Moolala’s competitive advantages in the self-serve frozen yogurt market
4:08 The story of how Moolala came to be
- 5:21 Why Bob opened Moolala on Long Island and in the Merrick Commons shopping center
- 6:30 Factors driving the frozen yogurt market’s recent growth
- 7:45 How Bob develops Moolala’s flavors and toppings
- 9:07 The most popular flavor at Moolala (this took us by surprise)
- 9:40 How the frozen yogurt market has changed over the past two years
- 10:45 Where the frozen yogurt market is headed in the coming year
- 12:10 What other frozen yogurt shop owners should be paying attention to in the coming year
- 12:59 How important small businesses like Moolala are to the U.S.’s continued recovery
- 14:04 Sneak peek into some of Bob’s plans for growing Moolala
Also, if you’d prefer reading the interview, here’s the transcript. To learn more about Moolala’s business, you can slide over to the Moolala website. You can also hop to the Moolala Facebook page to view more photos and see how Moolala is using the platform to engage its customers.